21st Annual Minsky Conference: Debt, Deficits, and Financial Instability

Michael Stephens | February 15, 2012

April 11–12, 2012
Ford Foundation, New York City
A conference organized by the Levy Economics Institute of Bard College with support from the Ford Foundation

This Spring, leading policymakers, economists, and analysts will gather at the New York headquarters of the Ford Foundation to take part in the Levy Institute’s 21st Annual Hyman P. Minsky Conference. This conference will address, among other issues, the challenge to global growth represented by the eurozone debt crisis; the impact of the credit crunch on the economic and financial markets outlook; the sustainability of the US economic recovery in the absence of support from monetary and fiscal policy; reregulation of the financial system and the design of a new financial architecture; and the larger implications of the debt crisis for US economic policy, and for the international financial and monetary system as a whole.

Visit the Levy Institute website for more information and online registration.

A list of participants is below the fold.

Scott G. Alvarez*
General Counsel, Board of Governors, Federal Reserve System

Paulo Nogueira Batista Jr.
Executive Director for Brazil, International Monetary Fund

Claudio Borio
Deputy Head of the Monetary and Economic Department and Director of Research and Statistics, Bank for International Settlements

Lael Brainard*
Under Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs

Willem Buiter*
Chief Economist, Citigroup

Christine M. Cumming
First Vice President, Federal Reserve Bank of New York

Andrea Enria
Chairperson, European Banking Authority

Roberto Frenkel
Principal Research Associate, Centro de Estudios de Estado y Sociedad (CEDES)

Esther L. George
President and CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City

Michael Greenberger
Professor, School of Law, and Director, Center for Health and Homeland Security, The University of Maryland

Bruce C. Greenwald
Professor of Finance and Asset Management, Columbia University

Martin J. Gruenberg
Acting Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation

Henry Kaufman
President, Henry Kaufman & Company, Inc.

Jan Kregel
Senior Scholar, Levy Institute, and Professor, Tallinn Technical University

J. Nellie Liang

Director, Office of Financial Stability Policy and Research, Federal Reserve Board

Michael Lewis*
Financial Journalist

Jeff Madrick
Editor, Challenge; Senior Fellow, Roosevelt Institute; and Senior Fellow, Bernard Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis, The New School

José Antonio Ocampo
Director, Economic and Political Development Concentration, and Fellow, Committee on Global Thought, Columbia University

Yalman Onaran
Senior Writer, Bloomberg News; Author, Zombie Banks

Frank Partnoy
George E. Barrett Professor of Law and Finance, University of San Diego School of Law

Avinash Persaud
Chairman, Intelligence Capital Ltd.

Adam Posen
Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics, and External Member, Monetary Policy Committee, Bank of England

Peter Praet
Member, Executive Board, European Central Bank

Bernard Shull
Professor Emeritus, Hunter College, and Special Consultant, NERA Economic Consulting

Lorenzo Bini Smaghi*
Member, Executive Board, European Central Bank

Joseph E. Stiglitz
Professor of Finance and Economics, Columbia University

Gillian Tett
US Managing Editor, Financial Times

Alexandre Antonio Tombini*
Governor, Central Bank of Brazil

Louis Uchitelle
The New York Times

Martin Wolf
Columnist, Financial Times

L. Randall Wray
Senior Scholar, Levy Institute, and Professor, University of Missouri–Kansas City



One Response to “21st Annual Minsky Conference: Debt, Deficits, and Financial Instability”

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

  1. Comment by TylerFebruary 16, 2012 at 9:49 am   Reply

    Here’s hoping it will be covered by C-SPAN. I’d love if it was broadcast on Fox News, but it’s not like their audience will accept anything said by any of the panelists. There’s just no point in trying to persuade the far right 30 percent of the country. If we can get the other 70 percent to love the debt, we’ll have won.

Leave a Reply